Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Laided off--out of work: Day 1

So, here I am in my bed, again for the second day in a row. What have I've been doing? Panicking? Crying? Pulling my hair out in frustration? Nope, none of the above. For the past two days (barring the night I spent hunched over the toilet--care of my sister Francesca) I've been watching movies. Yes the crisis of my life, i.e. no job//laid off, I have just spent the last two days watching movies and sleeping.

Until I possibly get over and figure out what I want to do -- go back to school, get a new job, move home, cry, eat McDonald's delicious fried food, I will review at least one movie a day because that will at least validate me being in bed without any direction in life.

1.) Bedtime Stories--

imdb.com says that this movie is a, "A family comedy about a hotel handyman whose life changes when the lavish bedtime stories he tells his niece and nephew start to magically come true."

I am going to admit wholeheartedly that yes, I did watch this without my two year old nephew sitting next to me as an excuse. I like Adam Sandler for some reason (maybe I was dropped on my head as a child) and its not like I don't have the time.

For a kid's movie it wasn't as jam packed with attention grabbing action as I thought it would be. the plot moves along but it isn't stunning. Adam Sandler (Skeeter the main character) plays the same Adam Sandler parts as usual. It was nothing new or exciting. The same people that freckle his other movies make their display in this one, just like usual. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

I like one line in the movie when he states, " in real life there are no happy endings." This comes up twice in the movie. I was shocked that it actually was said. I rewound my Netflix just to make sure that I heard it right. I think for once this might be the saving grace of kids movies! Maybe it is that I am cynical, but I loved when this line (or as close as I can remember) came up twice. "Look around you Wendy (Courtney Cox) do you see any happy endings around here?" This is a great lesson for kids. Enough of the Disney movie endings with the fairy tale prince rescuing everyone. This is real life and in real life there are no happy endings. Good for you Adam Sandler make that stand!

Then he ruins it by saving the day--making his previous claim invalid. Either way the movie was cute in a little kid has their hero saving the day cute. The main character got the girl that he wanted, as well as the job he wanted, became closer to a family he had previously distanced himself from and now all is well in the world and we can sleep easy at night.

I don't think I would watch it again barring my nephew wanting to see it. But for a family movie it works out pretty well. And for even the most cynic of people it has the effect of bringing a smile to ones face.

The hamster is pretty cute too.

No comments:

Post a Comment