Monday, July 26, 2010

Inception

I am sure that by now everyone has heard of the this GREAT movie starting Leonardo DiCaprio. Well I read the reviews, I looked into it, saw that it had a huge fan following, and really--I had no urge to see it. I mean I would see it but it was not on my to do list.

Then after a lovely day of fishing at the river, CH running from the Law Enforcement boat (he forgot his fishing license that day), and reading I thought we were just going to have an early night. Then my friend Bryan came around to visit. We agreed to see Inception. CH was too tired and he had to wake up around 4 a.m. the next day so he opted out.

Bryan and I flew to the theater, met his girlfriend there, and got to our seats in time to see the previews. There was some excitement, someone shouted "Ya Harvard" (I was wearing my Harvard shirt), and Bryan dropped the entire bag of popcorn all over the me and the GF. It was a good way to start the movie.

So there we were watching the previews. My first thought was, Is it ok and legal for me to have a crush on Zac Efron yet? His movie looked kinda sappy and stupid, but he did look good. At home a quick GOOGLE search shows that no, he is only 17. Yuck, what a let down.

But back to the movie. It was really great. The fact that it had great actors and actresses really did help. Leonardo (who is amazing now and forever) was really great in his portrayal of a man torn between keeping his own sanity and losing it to keep his wife.  The plot was fast paced and kept my attention and the fight scene (well all of them were great) between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the mind protectors in the hallway when they were are weightless or falling, is in no better words to describe it, AMAZING. Ellen Page does a great job of being concerned for the team, what she is doing, and for Leonardo. It is nice to see her (finally) in a role that doesn't reduce her to a lesser caliber actress then she really is. Her character's introduction into the movie sets up an understanding of what Leonardo was doing, is doing, and is trying to do, as well as tells the story of what Inception is and how it really works. Finally Marion Cotillard made my skin crawl. Her portrayal of the trapped wife was so creepy that several times during the movie I either jumped or had to stifle a scream. She was so good at looking right at the camera with that look of pure hatred that it made me so uncomfortable. I said to Bryan and Leslie (the GF), "I'm not going to be able to sleep for a week, she is creeping me out!" It was awesome.

Overall I liked the movie. I think it was thoroughly thought provoking and the end can be left to anyone's imagination. I would see it again and I am happy that Bry invited me to see it, because I would have never seen it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment